Interesting PlacesLangeron Beach

Langeron Beach

Langeron Beach is located at the seaside part of Odessa, near the Seaport in the city centre.

Here at the beginning of the 19th century there was a summer residence of the Governor-General Count Alexander Fedorovich Lanzheron, who died in 1831 and bequeathed his dacha for the needs of the city and the establishment of the city public beach. For some time, the terrain was called “Langeron’s dacha”, and eventually the name was reduced to a simplified one - Langeron. On the bequested seaside area there were built small houses – bathhouses, (some of them were intended not only for changing clothes, they hung over the water and allowed to take sea baths, plunging into the water directly from the house, while remaining hidden from prying eyes). Such baths were rented for a moderate fee and were very popular among ladies.

In the early 19th century here, on a high precipitous bank stood the Odessa fortress, during the Crimean War there was a coastal artillery battery, which in 1854 repelled the attack of the Anglo-French squadron. The observation post of the commander of the Odessa defense , General A.N. Liders, in the memory of him, the boulevard was called Lidersov. Langeron was joined by Alexander Park, named after Alexander II: the emperor himself planted in 1875 a oak tree on the site, approved for the creation of the park. In pre-revolutionary times, in memory of this event, a monument was built-a column to Emperor Alexander the Second, the top of which was crowned with a bronze cap of Monomakh.

It was not possible to preserve the terrain in a historical form: permanent landslides “took away” the lodge of Lanzheron, leaving only the arch “about six spans” built in 1830 by architect Franz Boffo as the front gate of the villa. In 2013, the arch of Lanzheron was restored according to engravings and photographs of 1903. It is an architectural monument.

Landslides were also washed away houses, located on a slope, turned the precipitous bank into a gentler slope, where the only beach in the city was established, which became a colorful resort complex. Here were bathing rooms, a buffet, a dance floor, summer theaters, orchestral shells. A carriage-ruler that in Odessa was called a "tram-tarard-coach" for an incredible crash-came to the beach, since 1912 a tram was approaching the Langeron arch.

Plans for further improvement of the beach failed because of the First World War and the revolution, and in 1918 there was a disaster – a landslide demolished the odd side of the Black Sea and most of the resort area. The debris from the landslide was dismantled only in the early 1930s, the slopes were fortified, a new descent to the sea was laid, which still exists. Fashionable decoration was gypsum park sculptures and the famous "two balls", as well as a constructed beach pavilion.

In the 50-60s of the last century, the shore was partially encased in concrete, built with a breakwater, and sand brought ashore. A drainage system was created both on the ground and under the ground, built a berth for boats and concrete piers.

Today the landmark of Lanzheron is the Dolphinarium “Nemo”, considered as one of the best in Europe and the recently opened monument “House of the Sun”.